Monday, July 21, 2008

Chicken and Pastrami

My mom made this alot when I was growing up, I love it!

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 10oz. cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 package of Lipton onion soup mix
3 Tbsp sour cream
1 package of sandwich sliced pastrami (optional, I have also used ham)

Combine Cream of mushroom soup, Lipton onion soup mix and sour cream in mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.

Defrost the chicken if frozen. Layer the bottom of an ungreased pan (I use a 9 inch brownie pan) with sliced pastrami. Then add your uncooked but thawed chicken breasts. Layer the top of chicken with pastrami. Pour the soup mixture on top of chicken and pastrami and spread throughly. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 30 min.

This is really good for a Sunday dinner. If you are serving mashed potatoes or white rice you will already have a delicious gravy from the soup mix.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Y-U-M!! Thank you!!

Katie said...

Am I going crazy, or did you add the "ungreased pan" and "uncooked" chicken to this? Maybe I am crazy and I didn't see them before. Nuts.

So, I made this last night. I asked Tyson to go to the store to pick up the chicken and he bought the BIGGEST breasts of chicken I've ever seen. I put them on the chicken anyway and cooked it for 1/2 hour. The chicken didn't cook all the way through, since they were so thick, so I kept taking it out, checking the chicken, and putting it back in.

Well, I was on the phone with my sis, after Tyson had taken out the meal for the 3rd time. I went over, checked it, and got frustrated because it wasn't cooking, and opened the oven and OOOPS! I forgot to put on oven mitts. Yep. I burned the CRUD out of my fingers! I dropped the pan and luckily it didn't break and food spattered all over the place. Uuuuugh. I sat there and soaked my hands in ice cold water. I was so frustrated that happened, but through it all, I got the chicken cooked and Tyson and Jason told me it was delicious.

At least I know that next time, I should cut the chicken breasts in half. Holy crap. What a story.